- Exercise Program
To make healthy physical, emotional, and spiritual improvements, you need to exercise and work on all of your body�s systems a little harder than usual. When you decide to start your exercise program, you have to ask yourself four basic F.I.T.S. questions:
Frequency: How often can you exercise?
Intensity: How hard can you exercise?
Time: How long you can perform an activity?
Smile: How long can you keep smiling while you exercise?
We at Frapez, suggest the following frequency and types of activities necessary for an average, healthy person, to maintain a minimum level of overall health. These guidelines address basic exercise requirements for those with an average fitness and health condition. All exercises can be easily incorporated in your everyday lifestyle. We included some of the most popular generic exercises for six basic categories. You can engage your new exercise program in any fitness organization (gym), or you can chose to exercise on your own in your home, on the street, at the local park or on the parking lot at your work.
Simple six-level exercise program for everyone
- WARM-UP - 5-10 minutes of exercises such as walking, slow jogging, knee lifts, arm circles or trunk rotations.
- MUSCULAR STRENGTH - a minimum of two 15-20 minutes sessions per week that include exercises for all major muscle groups. Lifting weights is the most effective way to increase strength; however, walking with light weights in your hands will also do the job. For those of you more adventurous, try sports where majority of muscle groups are included, such as windsurfing, rock-climbing, rowing, gymnastics�.you get the idea.
- MUSCULAR ENDURANCE - at least three 15-20 minute sessions per week that include exercises such as pushups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and moderate weight training for all major muscle groups.
- CARDIORESPIRATORY ENDURANCE - at least three 15-20 minute of continuous aerobic (activity requiring oxygen) rhythmic exercise each week. Popular aerobic conditioning activities include brisk walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, rope-jumping, rowing, cross-country skiing, and some continuous action games like racquetball and handball.
- FLEXIBILITY - 10-12 minutes of daily stretching exercises performed slowly without a bouncing motion. This can be included after a warm-up or during a cool-down.
- COOL DOWN - a minimum of 5-10 minutes of slow walking, low-level exercise, combined with stretching, to cool down the muscles and body systems.
To stay motivated with your exercise program you should
Health benefits that come from exercising
- Resistance to fight infections
- Reduced cholesterol levels
- Increased muscle strength
- Reduced risk of high blood pressure
- Reduced risk of diabetes and heart disease
- Reduced risk of high blood sugar
- Lower risk of lungs problems
- Lose, gain or maintain weight
- Increased brain function
- Happier lifestyle
Yoga is a spiritual and practical science of self-realization, which can be applied in many different ways. Yoga is a holistic system that unifies the entire field of our existence, from the physical, emotional and mental to the spiritual. The word �Yoga� originates from the Sanskrit word "Yuj" (literally, "to yoke") and is generally translated as "union" or "integration". Yoga is a way of life that comes from India and goes back over five thousand years. Its methods include ethical disciplines, physical postures, breath control, and meditation.
In a traditional practice of yoga according to Patanjali, there are eight stages of spiritual development:
- Yamas (ethical and moral disciplines)
- Nyamas (ethical and moral disciplines)
- Asanas ( postures in Sanskrit)
- Pranayama (breading exercise)
- Prathyara (control of sense)
- Dharana (concentration)
Yoga has become a very common term and a very popular form of exercise in the Western world. There are many forms and styles of yoga. Hatha Yoga is the most popular form of Yoga in the United States and in many parts of the world. It focuses on the physical well-being of a person and it believes that the body is the vehicle of the spirit.
There are many different Yoga Styles rooted from Hatha Yoga, and we at Frapez suggest any style or form of yoga that you find comfortable:
- Ashtanga - a physically demanding style which builds strength, flexibility and stamina. width="192" height="179" align="right" />
- Anusara � a new style heart-oriented and spiritually inspiring
- Bikram - promotes the cleansing of the body, release of toxins, detoxification and flexibility.
- Iyengar - a great attention to detail, posture, and alignment
- Integral - emphasis on the Pranayama (Breathing Control), on Meditation, and on the Asanas (Physical Poses).
- Kali Ray TriYoga - emphasis on Posture, Breath, and Focus to create dynamic and intuitive flows.
- Kripalu - emphasis on Proper Breath, alignment, coordination of breath and movement
We at Frapez believe that human mind and body are greatly affected by exercise, lifestyle and food we eat. A diet based on whole, seasonal, local and organic foods is a perfect compliment to any yoga practice. For healthy, fresh and nutrient rich food choices ideas that will lift your yoga practice and your health condition to next level go to The World Healthiest Food List.
The regular practice of yoga through asanas (postures) and pranayama (breathing exercises) has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the inner organs, glands and nerves, keeping all systems in radiant health and leading to greater energy, better concentration, and a happier, more fulfilling life. Many common physical ailments can also be improved through the regular practice of yoga. It is never too late or too early in life to start practicing yoga.
Yoga practice benefits
- Nervous system
- Respiratory system
- Blood Pressure
- Cardiovascular system
- Gastrointestinal function
- Endocrine function
- Excretory functions
- Musculo-skeletal flexibility
- Joint range of motion
- Eye-hand coordination
- Strength and resiliency
- Energy level
- Weight normalization
- Sleep improvements
- Immune system
- Pain reduction
We at Frapez recommend meditation as one of the tools in achieving optimal health and a balanced lifestyle. We think that the inner body peace could be found through meditation practice, which is not something that can be understood with the mind, but must be experienced with the heart.
Meditation allows modern, busy, and stressful lifestyle activities to settle down, and it often results in the mind becoming more peaceful, calm and focused. In essence, meditation allows the awareness to become 'rejuvenated'.
Meditation is fast gaining recognition worldwide. According to the CBS news on Aug 27 2003 "More and more doctors recommend it. It's supposed to help depression, control pain, increase longevity, slow down cancers, invigorate the immune system, and significantly reduce the blood pressure�.
The Time Magazine even devoted an entire issue to Meditation on Aug 4 2003 and credited it as a solution to a range of illnesses from skin conditions, stress, and chronic heart disease to AIDS and infertility. It even reported that "meditation can sometimes be used to replace Viagra".
Relaxation, increased awareness, mental focus and clarity, and a sense of peace are the most common by-products of meditation.
There are 100's of styles, traditions and forms of meditation. One of the traditional techniques of meditation involves concentrating on something that will take our attention away from the mental activity that is usually going on in our minds. This can involve a solid object or picture, a mantra, breath, or a guided visualization.
- Candle flame or flower
- Pictures (mandala � a highly colored symmetric painting)
- Breath as a focal point
- Guided visualization
- Letting your mind to be alert and attentive
- Letting your mind to be calm, concentrated without a strain and focused
- Increased awareness of the world around you
- Being in the moment - not worrying about the past or future
- A process more than a goal...a beautiful, inspiring journey rather than just a destination
MEDITATION IS NOT...
- Falling asleep
- Going into a trance
- Shutting yourself off from reality
- Becoming lost in a thought and/or forgetting who and where you are
Recommended guidelines for meditation
- It should be done every day, preferably at the same time.
- It should preferably be done before a meal rather than after a meal.
- A spot should be set aside for meditation, which should be a quiet place and used for nothing but meditation.
- One should sit with the spine straight and vertical (a chair is ok to use).
- Start with 10-15 minutes practice twice every day and slowly build up to 20-25 minutes.
- Decreased stress, tension, depression, anxiety - more balanced emotions.
- Strengthened immune system and improved health.
- Sense of identity and connection; improved confidence and concentration.
- Peace of mind, optimism and self-worth.
- A sense of a greater spiritual connection.
So, if you want to feel fitter, more energetic, happier and peaceful start practicing Yoga NOW!
- The vaults of Erowid
- Innerself .com
- Time magazine, 2003
Walking is one of the easiest, most enjoyable, and most health beneficial forms of exercise. Only in the US, there are 75 million people walking on a regular basis. Three main reasons why you should start walking:
In a traditional practice of yoga according to Patanjali, there are eight stages of spiritual development:
- It's cheap.
- It's easy.
- It's very good for you.
Frapez simple walking program
Studies show that walking can
- Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce high cholesterol and improve blood lipid profile
- Reduce body fat
- Enhance mental well being
- Reduce depression
- Reduce hypertension
- Increase bone density, hence helping to prevent osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of colon cancer
- Reduce the risk of non insulin dependant diabetes
- Help control body weight
- Help osteoarthritis
- Help flexibility and co-ordination, hence reducing the risk of falls
Even 10-minute rapid and energetic walks can dramatically increase a person�s physical condition. One study at the Loughbrough University found that women walking continuously for 30 minutes 5 days a week had almost identical increases in fitness as women who split their 30 minutes into three 10-minute walks (Murphy & Hardman 1998). Perhaps even more encouraging was that the short walkers lost more weight and reported greater decreases in waist area than the long walkers.
How to get motivated
- Walk with the partner or a group
- Pick the best time of the day
- Pick an enjoyable route
- Listen a pleasant music (but watch for vehicles around you)
- Dress comfortable
- Think positive
- Walk Tall
- Walk with a smile
We at Frapez have a holistic approach to diet, health and lifestyle therapy. Massage is one of the essential health holistic treatments that are beneficial both for the body and the mind.
Massage increases the circulation of blood and the flow of lymph. The direct mechanical effect of rhythmically applied manual pressure and movement used in massage can dramatically increase the rate of blood flow. Also, the stimulation of nerve receptors causes the blood vessels (by reflex action) to dilate, which facilitates the blood flow.
According to the AMTA (American Massage Therapy Association), massage therapy is beneficial both for the physical and mental therapeutic state.
Health Benefits of Massage
- Reduces the Muscle Tension.
- Improves the Blood Circulation.
- Induces a Better Lymph Movement.
- Stimulates or Soothes the Nervous System.
- Enhances Skin Condition.
- Results in a Better Digestion and Intestinal Function.
- Relieves Acute and Chronic pain.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Reduces stress.
- Reduces swelling
- Enhances general relaxation.
Types of Massage
- Thai - a combination of gentle rocking, range of motion, acupressure, reflexology, energy work and stretching, a form of passive yoga.
- Swedish - relaxes muscles and eases aches and pains.
- Deep tissue - releases the chronic patterns of tension in the body.
- Hot Rock Stone Therapy - warm stones are placed strategically on the back which massages the entire body.
- Sport massage - pre-event, post-event, during training and to expedite rehabilitation after injury.
- Corporate Seated Massage � (On-Site Seated Massage) - 10 to 30 minutes and is intended to relax and improve circulation on a specially designed chair.
- Pregnancy Massage - can relieve fatigue, enhance sleep and calm an active baby.
No matter which massage you choose, it is a beneficial part in maintaining optimum health, well-being and a big help in achieving a more balanced and harmonious lifestyle.